Friday 17 January 2014

Coffee Posters on Behance

I decided to make a search on behance for posters and adverts of coffee and coffee brands or shops, to see if I could find something to inspire my ideas further from the work of others, and also if I could find more variety of art style that I could choose to draw influence from.


 Tonielle Krisanski made a series of 4 posters for NescafĂ© Azera which is interesting to see as I also want to do a series of posters. I love how she has used the same colour scheme as the product's packaging for all of her posters and consistently used them for the same objects and elements. She has also used the same background in all of her posters with the beige background and the orange stripe going down the middle much like the design on the packaging. All of the elements in this series of posters line up in the center along the orange strip giving an even amount of space away from each sides of the canvas. I've noticed that the location of the coffee logo is inconsistently placed throughout the four posters as on two of them it is placed in the bottom right corner and on one it is on the bottom left, on the fourth one which I haven't included in this blog it has the logo placed more near the bottom, middle of the poster. I think for my posters i'll probably keep the logo all in the same place if I use as I just find it feels more consistent and professional and doesn't throw the posters off balance when they're next to each other. The perspective in these posters are looking down from above as if like a bird's eye view of coffee on a table cloth. I think this kind of perspective creates simpler shapes for objects as you can't see the entire shape of the mug but just the top making it just a circle with a rectangle attached to the side as the handle and this kind of drawing style also makes it easier to place typography over the illustrations, and makes them more legible as there aren't complicated shapes, patterns or textures behind it.

This is an espresso guide for Starbucks made by Jaymie McAmmond. I really like this typographic mural as I was thinking about making one of my posters typography based for another brief I was considering but I might still do it for one of my Nescafé posters as I don't often make much use of typography or incorporate it stylistically into my work . I love the style of this as both the text and illustrations look as if they were drawn with chalks onto a chalk board style background. It feels very vintage and has a classic and classy kind of feel to it as the typeface is quite stylistic with it's curls and lengthened strokes. I find that this style would appeal greatly to the older generation, the elderly specifically who used to live in times where black boards were useful for many things and used commonly inside coffee shops, I find for them this kind of design would give off a sense of nostalgia. The colour scheme is minimal too with only black and white and mentions of brown and orange. Shading on the illustrations in this guide are defined with lines and strokes rather than with shades of colour which I think make the chalky drawing effect look more authentic and realistic as standard chalk colours are usually quite restricted and a normal coffee shop would keep a huge variety of chalk colours just to write on their boards. I also like the layout and how different drinks and text are sectioned off using decorative separation lines like a dashed line or the zig-zag looking pattern.

This is a holiday promotion for Starbuck illustrated byVictor Melendez. He helped the promotions team to develop the holiday concept. In addition to the characters the team created, he had to illustrate each drink, food and packaging in order to fit the mood and style of the campaign.
I really like the wintery, festive colour scheme used in this and the regal red patterns used for the packaging design and as well as on the bottom of the ad. The concept idea behind this promo was sharing stories, and how sharing stories brings people together for the holidays. I like the grainy transition between colours on the illustrations of the drinks as I think it gives it a frosty effect and also looks as if it was sprayed on which looks soft and gentle which I find fits with the wintery theme. The illustrations of the cream and toppings in the drinks are extremely detailed and look realistic when you look at the image as a whole though zooming in you can see that it is hand drawn.

This is a design for Costa coffee breaks by Joseph Khella. I like this because it is also focused on typography but it's different to the typographic mural I looked at as it is using the typography not as a block of text that is important to read but as a way to illustrate the image of the cup, making key words bigger and bolder within the text so they stand out to you and catch your eye as those are the words that sell the product, such as morning, coffee, cappuccino, tasty, mocha etc. I'm not keen on the smokey effect added coming out of the cup as I think it throws the design off balance and feel unsettling as there is already a shape of the steam coming out of the cup made from the text, so I think the more realistic smoke doesn't look right next to that. To me it the colour and shape of the smoke effect also looks more like fire smoke than steam from a cup so I just don't think it works. I like the brown colour scheme in this as it's just directly related to coffee and feels very warm when you look at it, I also like the textured paper background because it kind of reminds me of a note, as if this design was pinned onto a cork board in the shop or anywhere else in public like a reminder note.

Lastly I came across this series of illustrations that were designed for the Starbucks 'Winter Fest' Campaign. It promotes six new products limited to the winter holidays; candy cane latter, cinnamon latte, white choc frappuccino,, black forest cateau frappucino and white choc cheesecake latte. The illustrator, Mitchell Nelson used a combination of tools of create these paintings such as pencils, indian ink, photoshop and illustrator. I absolutely love the art style of these illustrations as it looks almost exactly like the water colour style that I want to achieve with my own posters. The colours and tones are very warm and give me the impression of an afternoon coffee break and the hand painted look just gives the feel of something homemade which is the concept that i'm trying to promote with nescafe's azera, the idea of a coffee shop coffee made at home. The gentle splashes of watered down colour for the background of the main objects look very soft and appealing to the eye and I think can also be a useful technique for depicting the coffee's pleasing aroma.

Throughout most of these illustrations and posters brown appears to be the dominant colour in the scheme and commonly used, unless there is a holiday theme behind the concept in which case the colour scheme becomes festive and wintery using red and white. It's also common that the colour scheme is taken from the packaging design of the product being advertised.

No comments:

Post a Comment